PLEASE NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links for products I love and believe in. When you purchase them I get a small commission. Thanks so much for your support! To read my full privacy policy click here.


Wise Words

10.05.2008

Yesterday I got to listen to LDS General Conference. Amazing men and women spoke to us of God, Jesus Christ and the blessings of the gospel. One talk in particular touched my heart. Elaine S. Dalton is the President of the Young Women's organization...a portion of the church that teaches and inspires teenage girls.

She said,

".....we have been deceived by false role models and persuasive media messages that cause us to forget our divine identity....What could be more deceptive than to entice women, young and old, you and me, to be so involved in ourselves, our looks, our clothes, our body shape and size that we lose sight of our divine identity and our ability to change the world through our virtuous influence."

I truly agree with this. You know I love television, but it is filled with portrayals of women who are hopelessly thin, hopelessly selfish and hopelessly unfulfilled as mothers. I understand the desire for women to enter the workforce or continue to pursue cultural and social activities outside of the home, but I have a hard time when the message that we are sent is that to be a stay at home mother denies the opportunity to be a well-informed, well-read, intelligent and strong woman.

It is so easy to forget that you and I have the ability to change the world through our virtuous influence. I highly recommend reading this book for a glimpse into loving being a Mom.


So here's to reminders of our divinity!


I am well-informed, intelligent, beautiful and highly fulfilled.
And I choose to channel those talents into raising daughters with these same qualities.
I help others whenever I can.
I love people and try my best to make them feel valued and appreciated.
I make a difference every day.

Can I get an AMEN sisters?!!

19 comments

lynette said...

Amen sista!

Emily said...

AMEN! Eva looks so darling in that coat! They both do, but Eva just looks so grown up.

Just Us said...

Amen, and I echo Emily on this one--adorable coats!

stevie kay said...

Amen!

Kristin Reinhard said...

Amen!!!!
Great thoughts for the start of the week!

pink4u said...

Amen!!!!..I have been a SAHM for 16years..Its the BEST thing I have ever done! And while 2 incomes would have been nice....I never have regretted my decision....
I am so glad I got to spend time with my daughters.....

Your daughters are so adorable..

Annie said...

Despite financial difficulties that have resulted from only 1+ income (worked part time when hubby was home) I would not change my role as a SAHM for anything. Nothing, nothing is as important a job as that...c'mom..a chance to lay the groundwork at home to influence generations? How does it get any better than that?

Anonymous said...

Amen, sometimes we forget how important our role is!

taryn said...

You can get an "Amen!" from me Sister!!!! I completely agree. I would also recommend the book "Professionalizing Motherhood" by Jill Savage, which is along the same lines. It totally revolutionized my outlook on life and on being a SAHM. Thanks for another great reminder, Emilie.
Love the photo of your little cuties in the coats!!!!

Mandy said...

Amen Sista! I love coming to this blog not only is it a place artistic inspiration you always have a way of inspiring my life as a woman and SAHM with with your words. Thanks Emelie!
Love the girls coats too cute

Anonymous said...

Amen!! And THANKS!!!! So very, very, very true!! I will never regret being a SAHM!! NEVER!!! Just wish my kids would stay at home with me!! They are all full-time students now! (1st, 2nd and 4th graders) - - I miss them so much!!!

*reyanna* said...

Amen! Love this post. Beautiful quote and a great reminder. :) LOVE those coats Eva and Ella are wearing! Just adorable!

debbiec said...

AMEN, girl!

Kasiah Banks said...

Amen. I loved that talk too!

Missy said...

Amen! That talk was great! Especially cuz I have 2 girls too!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! Was a truly wonderufl talk, I sat and listened to most of the conference with my 12 yr old daughter and 4 yr old son (tho i'm not sure he took much in!!) we had a great time making notes, sharing ideas and munching on peanuts and marshmallows (who said we had to eat healthy??!!!) Makes me wish i'd grown up in the church!
Debs

Wendy Kwok said...

Amen! I love this! That's why I chose to be a SAHM too! My worth is not defined by the amount of $$ and cc that I can bring home. I am ME because God made me.

Maude Beckman said...

AMEN! That was one of my favorites too! I LOVED how she spoke about virtue. She is so inspired in her comments. Funny to with her line about "the ever texting" teenagers!

Lain said...

AMEN!