PLEASE NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links for products I love and believe in. When you purchase them I get a small commission. Thanks so much for your support! To read my full privacy policy click here.


Halloween Hoopla

10.28.2008
I've never been that "in to" Halloween.
Mostly because I am a total scaredy cat.
And I always have been.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the candy and stuff when I was little.
BUT it always came with a very calculated risk. The scary house in the neighborhood that my friends would drag me too. My heart would race. And inevitably someone would jump out and grab me. Funny to them...not to me.
I hate the gross out and gory foods, decorations and costumes.
And no scary movies for this girl....ever. Never. It's a rule.

However, in the spirit of Halloween, I am going to share a few things that I love about this holiday...

My Favorite Party: Ahern Annual Pumpkin Carving Party. Carving pumpkins, eating my famous Pumpkin Love dessert and watching campy old scary movies (more on that later). The Meese family and delicious food.

My Favorite Treat: Pumpkin Love. Oh people...it is so delicious! Stay tuned for the recipe to be posted a little later today.

My Favorite Scary Movies: Invasion of the Body Snatchers. 1956 version. Hilariously campy, but still spooky enough for adult viewers. You'll notice from this poster that the lead female, Becky, spends her days running from the Body Snatchers in a strapless party dress with heels and pearls. LOVE that!



And my very favorite Hitchcock film of all time. Rope. Not only is it truly suspenseful, it is incredibly smart and it's suspense is built through words and well crafted characters. And the coolest part of all? It was shot on a single set, aside from the opening establishing shot street scene. Camera moves were planned in advance and there was almost no editing.



The walls of the set were on rollers and could silently be moved out of the way to make way for the camera, and then replaced when they were to come back into shot. Prop men also had to constantly move the furniture and other props out of the way of the large Technocolor camera, and then ensure they were replaced in the correct location. A team of soundmen and camera operators kept the camera and microphones in constant motion, as the actors kept to a carefully choreographed set of cues.

It is incredibly amazing to see. RENT this movie!!! It's wicked cool.

A Craft to Try: And I found this super cute Holiday wreath which I plan on making this year. To see the supply list and instructions click here. I am thinking I might not use the crow, and mix purple and black leaves. I may play around with this one. And that's the most exciting part!

9 comments

Dana (*danavee*) said...

Oh my word, is that what you wanted the leaf stamp for?! That looks like a lot of work!

I loved "Rope"; I watched it in a film class I took in college. I should totally rent it and watch it again!

Emily said...

I've never seen Rope, now I'm going to have to check it out.

You singlehandedly cheered me up about halloween today. awesome. can't wait to try pumpkin love and rope.

Mandy said...

I wasn't always a big Halloween fan but I am now.I'm not into scary movies they are a no go with me and hubby loves them. (Hat wreath is too cool!

Ashlee said...

my favorite movie for halloween is "night of the living dead" the black and white one. Not the new one. It's so funny and cheesy, but my blood pressure cannot help but rise when they are SLOWLY walking towards the house!

It's Me...shell said...

Wait a minute. I need something clarified for me...for obvious reasons. You don't like costumes AT ALL of just gory gross ones?!?!?!?

It's Me...shell said...

Wait a minute. I need something clarified for me...for obvious reasons. You don't like costumes AT ALL or just gory gross ones?!?!?!?

Candice said...

I'm a scaredy cat, too. :) I don't recall watching Rope-will have to Netflix it.

Emily said...

I like to watch Signs sometimes at halloween. so creepy.

the real ~Roxann~ said...

I don't watch ANY horror flicks, either. (they give me nightmares!!) And I like suspense, but my hubby's favorite past-time is goosing me when something big is about to happen to make me scream! (yes, I am THAT jumpy!)

As far as Halloween goes, I have fantastic memories of it as a child/teen. Trick-or-Treating in the old neighborhood. Than, older doing the haunted house, haunted hayrides. They scare the hoowie out of me! (probaly why I have only done them like a few times. And now, I have no desire to have a heart attack at 39!)

I've never seen either of the movies. Rope sounds very intriguing.