PLEASE NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links for products I love and believe in. When you purchase them I get a small commission. Thanks so much for your support! To read my full privacy policy click here.


Challenge: Create A Memory

10.21.2008

When I was young we went for a visit to Spokane, WA. It was a kind of cool, but sunny day. I remember going to a small carnival where they had a Merry-Go-Round. This was a special kind of Merry-Go-Round with colored rings on the top, immovable portion of the structure and as children wound around the edge they would come to a point where they could reach up and grab a colored ring. But the important part was that amongst the rings was a hidden golden ring. If you chose happened to get that one you received a prize.

I was too little to even come close to reaching the rings...in fact, I think I remember sitting in one of those small non-moving benches that some merry-go-rounds have. I watched in giddy anticipation as my older siblings pulled those rings at each go around. And then a squeal of triumph. My sister Lorelei had pulled the golden ring. What excitement! I don't remember what she won, but I remember feeling happy that day. And that feeling of happiness amongst a childhood with it's fair share of unhappiness is an important memory to me.

As I contemplated this memory today I focused on this. As a Mommy, my job is to feed, clothe and tend to my children's physical needs. But it is so much more. You must be an emotional support, a teacher, a nurturer and also there needs to be that quality that should fill any childhood...fun! I wonder now how difficult it may or may not have been for my Mom to take us to that little carnival...but that memory of childhood happiness is a cherished one for me.

I want, this day, to stop answering emails and planning my shopping list and engage my children in something fun and whimsical and joyous!

The Challenge: If you want to join me in dropping everything and adding fun to your life today, please email me a picture or the story of your fun activity and I'll do a follow-up post here. Let's go out today and fill our lives with unaccounted for FUN! No, you don't have to have kids to play along...just do something, anything wildly joyous today!


(*the photo in this post is one I took of Ella/Chicken last summer, throwing herself into a stream with the wild abandon that only two-year-olds posses)


..

4 comments

the real ~Roxann~ said...

Marinne has that same dress! It's been one of my all-time favorites!

Well, although we'd love to join your challenge, I won't be able to. I have one child with Strep Throat, home sick from school. And I have a dog who is vomiting and has the big D. My life is filled with ick today!

The bright spot will be the fact that Mr. UPS will be delivering my Cricut Expression today! :)

Have fun!

Aartee said...

Cute picture! I was wondering if you had sent out all of the mini albums already? I have been eagerly waiting for mine but I hadn't seen it?

kimberlee said...

Sounds great!!!! I'll have to do this!!! :)

Anonymous said...

this is a fun challenge!
since home educating my 12 yr old daughter i have become almost obsessed on this principle with her and my 4 yr old son...so many small but significant memories are right before us...i'd love to play along here! :)
debsx