I hate Pumpkin Pie and this recipe finally made me an acceptable guest at Thanksgiving dinners. Picture hearing What?!! How can you hate Pumpkin Pie?!!! at every Thanksgiving of your life. Now people ask that I bring this instead of a Pumpkin Pie. And since I adapted the recipe...I get to create the slightly weird name. Behold....
PUMPKIN LOVE
INGREDIENTS
1 box yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup of the dry cake mix)
1/2 cup butter - melted
1 egg - beaten
1 large can of pumpkin (29 oz.)
- - - - -
1 cup evaporated milk (or 1 c. heavy cream)
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs - beaten
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- - - - -
1 cup reserved cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter - soft
DIRECTIONS
Bottom:
Take 1/2 cup of melted butter, 1 beaten egg and remainder (minus 1 c.) of the dry cake mix, combine and press into the bottom of your Pyrex 9 x 13 baking dish (3 qt. size).
Filling:
Take 3 beaten eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk, the can of pumpkin, 1 cup brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Combine and pour over the bottom.
Topping:
Crumble together the reserved 1 cup of dry cake mix, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/3 c. butter. Cut with pastry cutter until crumbly. Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts if desired. Sprinkle over the filling.
Bake: on center rack at 350F for about 50-60 min. or until top is light brown it barely jiggles when pan is slightly shaken. Let cool completely.
Top with whipped cream. (1 pt. whipping cream + 2 Tbsp. white granulated sugar...beat until soft peaks form)








10 comments
I hate pumpkin pie too, but so does the rest of my family, so we always have a miriad of other pies instead (apple, chocolate, banana cream, strawberry, whatever suits our fancy). Sadly, my husband loves pumpkin pie so he always gets stuck with the store bought pie.
Sounds delicious. We totally need a photo, though!
Thank you! Thank you! I hate pumpkin pie (and pies in general) also, but love everything else pumpkin. I can not wait to make this for Thanksgiving!
Juliet
I actually love pumpkin pie, but I still have fond memories of when you made pumpkin love for my birthday last year--so yummy!
I love pumpkin pie but I'm going to have to try this it sounds yummy!Thabks for sharing.
I am a pumpkin pie lover, but pecan is my favorite! (good pecan, not that store-bought crap...unless it comes from Cracker Barrel...now that is actually passable as homemade. Maybe it is homemade?)
Anyway, this Pumpkin Love sounds delicious! I'll have to try it soon!
Rox
What?!! How can you hate Pumpkin Pie?!!!
Seriously, plenty of people don't like pumpkin pie. Something similar, my MIL doesn't like pie crust (crazy woman) so my SIL makes a crustless pumpkin pie for her. I've had a few "bad" ones myself and it's enough to make me swear that I'll never eat another piece! I can totally see not liking pumpkin pie.
Have you had pumpkin cheesecake as an alternative? Mmmmm ...
I HATE pumpkin pie. bleeh. But I use to work in a bakery, that could be the reason. :)
Funny thing, my Mom makes this!! She calls it The Great Pumpkin Dessert! I was going to email the recipe to you!! I love this too! the top layer is my favorite!
I hate pumpkin pie, too...
I make this to-die-for pumpkin roll that I get requests for every time I bring it to Thanksgiving dinner. Your recipe sounds yummy -need to see some pics :)
I love pumpkin pie. I love EVERYTHING pumpkin. And Jeremy is the only other person I know who doesn't like pumpkin pie. Then again, he doesn't like anything pumpkin. And that, to me, is strange. :p
I'm totally going to try this! Thanks so much for the recipe. Can't wait! :D And hey, maybe Jeremy will like it too... ;)
Post a Comment