"But Emilie, where are the pictures?" You ask.
There are none.
None of those magical things happened.
The day was crap-central.
We arrived just at the usual time when Evangeline would take her nap. I unloaded the girls and we headed into the gorgeous orchard. It was not too warm, but the sun was out...an absolutely perfect day. We met up with my friend Loni and headed first to the petting zoo.
I bought a handful of feed, demonstrated the flattened hand technique, gave Ella a handful of feed and turned on the camera. Ella took one looks at those goats and freaked,screaming "I'm Scary!" and fast-pitched her handful of feed at the goat's head. I then, with my most gentle and nurturing mother skills, dragged her towards the baby goats while she kicked and screamed. Evangeline was no better. We then rounded out or petting zoo excursion with screaming and running from pigs, baby chicks (how ferocious) and a calf.
So I decided to ditch the group and took my kids to a playground. They had a big fancy one with tube slides and climbing walls, but it was crawling with kids, so we opted for a smaller, more manageable wooden train with a small slide coming from the side. Sounds harmless right? Nope. As I was trying my best to pull Evangeline's upper body from the octagonal window in which she was stuck, Ella began to shriek and do the jumping dance of a child who is truly hurt. I could not figure out what had happened until she began to hyperventilate and then realized she had a large splinter from the wooden train stuck in her finger. And that was the beginning of the end.She wailed, non-stop, for the next 2 hours. And when I say non-stop, I mean she barely took breaks to breath. I was able to remove the splinter by laying her on the playground grass, pinning her down and pulling it out with tweezers from my purse as she thrashed and screamed "Stop hurting me! Don't you kiss my finger!" at full volume.
Other parents steered away from us as we stood in line to get their PB&J sandwiches since Evangeline had started screaming and biting my arm...meaning that she was beyond starving. I got them their sandwiches, apples slices and fresh peas followed by fresh churned ice cream and still Ella sobbed. She sobbed as I braved the Farmer's store to pick up some fresh Apple Cider donuts and sobbed as I realized my debit card was missing and had to drag my children back to the food stand to get it and return to the store to pay. She then sobbed all the way home from Elkton, MD to New Castle, DE. She then took a nap in which she periodically awoke so she could sob some more.
Scrapbook that one!
It's kind of funny how these days spring out of nowhere, but we all have them.
As I wrote this and as I told Matt we had a good laugh.
And yes, I keep tweezers in my purse for emergency eyebrow plucking.







16 comments
Like my mom says, mothering is not for the faint of heart. :)
eGADS.
Ugh. Those days are the worst! I hope that you have a happier tomorrow, complete with lots of pictures of smiling children. :)
well I think you should definitely scrap that! thats real life after all!!
I'm glad you can laugh about it...I'm also glad that you stuck it out and you bought your donuts and your stuff and you didn't just leave because you child was crying.
Ah Emilie, I'm sorry for laughing at your disastrous day but I couldn't help it. Maybe you will be able to laugh at it too.....in time :) You DO have an amazing gift for telling a story my girl. I felt like I was there! Love to you. Anita. xx
I want to hug you now. You are one tough cookie of a sane mommy! More good days will usually follow after such a 'day'.... sending you hugs from a fellow mommy!But a question, what a tweezer doing your bag? You mean you have all these emergency tools?
too funny!!!! :)
Love the emergency tweezer for eyebrows bit that is funny.
Your should definately scrap yesterday that is a true moment your girls would love to look at in 20 years when they are flipping through your masterpeices and it will give the men in their lives heads up to always have a pair of tweezers handy(heehee). I too have had many days like that when I get the stares I just "nicely" say take a picture it lasts long and then the people give that look and go about their business.
Here's to you have a great day today!
LOL! Ok, it may not have been the perfect day but those are the types of layouts I love doing. I silly ones that poke fun at how unperfect life is some days.
Oh...thank goodness!
Your photos led me to believe you have perfect children and nothing ever goes wrong.
:::said in jest, of course:::
I have a feeling your page will be fantastic any way. :)
-Jody
I'm sorry it wasn't the photo op you expected, but your story telling made me laugh. Oh, I keep tweezers in my purse too, LOL.
Oh we've all had those days! Had to chuckle (LOTS!) about it. Too bad I never scrapped any of them as my kids were growing up. It's a classic!
Jennifer in WA
You have such a way with words! I'm reading this and totally cracking up!!! I just love the picture of you I have in my head pinning your kid down and her screaming! Love it! And I've been there too!!
we are laughing with you! we've all had those wonderfully planned days that TANK. They are funny after the kids are in bed.
y
loooove that you got a picture of the stuck-ed-ness! Great commentary.
Post a Comment