★★★★★
An amazing accomplishment as a first novel. I was spellbound by the writer's well crafted story and lush writing style. This book reads very much like a more classic novel where the writer takes time to set up a genuine interest in the characters before introducing large plot elements. This may be seen as a detriment to some readers, but those accustomed to reading classic literature will find it a welcome change from the "action-movie style" of many modern novels. At almost 600 pages, the first real plot twist didn't happen until around 200 pages in.I knew this book to be a re-telling of Shakespeare's Hamlet and expected it to be a bit predictable and, refreshingly, it was not. While there were similarities to the story lines and characters the Story of Egdar Sawtelle stood as a well-crafted story in its own right.
Many reviewers complained about the end of this book, but I had no real complaints except that there is a certain waited for series of revelations at the end of Hamlet that David Wroblewski side-steps. It was a bit slow in the middle and quick towards the end. I think the novel may have been better with a more dynamic and interlaced finish, but it is certainly not a deal-breaker in this case.
I highly recommend this book for serious readers who are accustomed to reading for the love of words and well crafted stories. Those seeking more diversionary, entertainment based reading may find it too drawn out for their taste.
To buy this book online click here.
Click Here to view all of my Good Reads reviews.







2 comments
I just had to come over and say THANK YOU for stopping by my blog!! And forgive me for sounding like a crazed fan but...I was so floored to see that the fabulous and amazing Emilie Ahern had taken the time to stop by and leave a comment! I had to call my SIL...we were just talking about your MM cover! :-) LOVE your work!! Okay...even crazy babbling...hehe!! Just making sure you have your Tivo set for tomorrow night's episode of Project Runway! ;-) Hope you have a great day!!!
Welp.... I was behind 7 blog posts of yours... so I read through them all and stayed long enough to say hello! :)
Post a Comment