
When I was young I was shy.
Painfully shy.
One time in 7th grade a really popular girl in my grade had a crush on my older brother and realized I was his sister. In an attempt to get in good with him she said "hi" to me in the hallway at school and do you know what I did?
I started crying.
Yep.
Painfully shy.
But I seem to be making up for lost time in my adulthood and now I love nothing more than a gaggle of good girlfriends to chat with, scrap with and follow reality television with.
This part of our recent move from Utah to Delaware has been the most difficult for me.
Missing my girl friends I left behind.
So on Sunday I was so excited to be invited to an acquaintances home for dinner followed by trick-or-treat in their posh neighborhood.
I also have been chatting more and more with a fun church friend who adores Project Runway like I do and who is crazy fun and hilarious.
And today I received a lunch invitation for next week.
And I am excited.
Excited like a wall flower getting asked to slow dance for the first time.
Nerdy? Definitely.
But we all want a little belongingness in our lives right?
.
.







11 comments
I totally still feel that way. Especially since you left. Ugh.
Aw...they like you! They really like you!! (of course they do....you are fantastic!) I hope you find some friends there that will really "get" you!
Friends make us feel better about ourselves and who doesn't want that? It makes me happy to hear you are building new 'Out East' relationships.
Happy for you!Who wouldn't want to be your friend your awesome!I'm kinda the opposite of you I had group of friends in school and don't really have many in our town now. I guess maybe I'm a at a different point in life then the rest my age and I have a child with special needs but I am so happy I have online friends I love chatting with and getting their emails it always makes me smile.
Love the litlte nerd girl she's cute.
I wasn't shy really in middle school, but i did have a gap and glasses so boys didn't like me.. and girls didn't like me because i likes to wear old vintage shirts from goodwill. oh, the joys of school.
I read your blog everyday. I cant get enough of your silly additude and your look at life! :)
ps. you might be the only blog i comment too, because i'm not afraid you are going to think i'm crazy for lurking you :)
oh Em I'm so happy you found friends to play with out there!
And how fun you're going trick or treating in a posh neighborhood!
LUCKY! lol were going in the HOOD!
I'm pretty sure that story from 7th grade just sounded way too familiar . . . as in I, too, remember blushing, crying, and other odd assortments of reactions to simply having to talk to another person.
Too funny . . . now anyway!
I hear ya about moving away from friends... I left my friends behind in suburban Chicago, where I was born and raised, and have *gasp* NO new friends in Northern Alabama... haven't found anyone here as obsessed about Project Runway as I am...except my 8-year old daughter, who has been given the nickname "Uli". why? because she soooo desperately wanted Uli to win PR, that she CRIED when Uli lost... I thought it was hysterical, and to this day call her 'Uli'! (she loves it, btw!)
Have fun with your new friends!! :)
Ohmigosh, cool for you! I've lived here for four months, and though I've made more friends than in the four YEARS I lived in Rhode Island, I still get SO excited when a new girlfriend of mine asks to hang out. Just... the best feeling ever! Love friends. :)
I hear ya!! I'm the same way!! We move next week so I hope I can make some new friends since I, too, left so many behind!
I can totally relate. I was pretty shy when I was young, too.
Post a Comment